2.22.2012

Ahhhh, this is the life....

To all of you out there who have chosen to visit my blog (or maybe you just happened to pop on by through various web searching or blog reading), you will soon know that I am currently employed as a substitute teacher.  I finished my degree in a short three and half years, deciding that getting a jump start on the job market (or lack there of) would be the best possible outcome for me.  As we all know, now may not be the particular time to be searching for a job, especially if you are in the education field.  This lands us future educators in to the idolized position of substitute teacher (hold all applause and "ooohs" and "ahhhs" until the end of the rant). 

Being someone who is as type-A as they come and used to a scheduled schedule and lists to complete what is already noted in the schedule, this day to day world of 5:30 a.m. alarms and fingers crossed that by 6:30 I'll be on my way to a some-what scheduled and working day is not what I would call...ideal.  Honestly, it makes me want to scream bloody murder at the top of my lungs.  But, alas...the silver lining...I thrive to teach.  I may be on my fourth cup of coffee and enjoying an episode of Will & Grace where Jack and Karen are off doing some sort of comedic adventure, but yesterday I was knee deep in six year olds and tomorrow I may be running the show in a fourth grade classroom.  Yes, I may not know I will be a teacher that day until 5:45 a.m., but when duty calls...I'm there...I guess I'm sort of like Superman...errrr.....woman (a Superwoman that may have a melt down, a freakout, and not know what to do in this completely unorganized world...that she has to try to organize...)

Moral of the story, or in my case I suppose the moral of the rant, it will be okay!  I'd love to find a support group for substitute teachers because there must be another type-A girl (or boy) out there just like myself who hasn't compeltely embraced the "unknown flying by the seat of your pants" life that substituting has thrust upon me.  Maybe I'd find some words of advice, or share some, or we could just have one big party filled with lists and crafts and a rendition of "Guess Who?" (remember that game?) that has all of our little faces on the cards and we try to guess who will be called.  Ahhh, yes, this is the life.  And if that pretty picture doesn't ease your mind, whoever you are and whatever you may be going through at this time, take a deep breath, focus on today, and keep this little verse in mind:

"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, "Do not fear; I will help you."  -- Isaiah  41:13

No comments:

Post a Comment